To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

Village Office

What hours is Village Office open?

Village Office is normally open Mon-Fri from 9-11:30 AM and 1 PM to 3:30 PM.

Building & Permits

How do I know if I need a permit?

The best way to find out if you need a Permit is to call the Village Office at 512-267-5511.  

It is unlawful for any person to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, perform major repairs, move, improve, remove, convert, or demolish any building or structure, or install plumbing, electrical or mechanical systems, or perform mold remediation, or perform major landscaping or drainage work, without first obtaining a city building permit. An owner may make minor improvements and repairs on any structure without a permit provided such improvements and repairs are not required by the IRC Section R105. An owner planning such improvements and/or repairs shall first contact the Village Office to determine in each instance whether or not a permit is required.

What is a building Permit?

A building permit is a written authorization to proceed with the construction of a building project in accordance with the approved drawings and specifications.

Why are Building Permits Required?

The Village of Point Venture ordinances require the issuance of building permits as a method of enforcing minimum codes and standards for all applicable construction and remodeling within the Village. Inspections are completed to all permits requiring such to ensure the safety and welfare of the residents of the Village.

What are some examples of projects that need a Permit?

Generally, building permits are required for all new construction and additions, remodeling, electrical rewiring, and all other modifications or improvements.

Examples of projects that would require a permit are listed below:

  • All new construction (commercial, multifamily and residential).
  • Additions (including but not limited to house additions, screened-in porches, sunrooms, basement finish-outs, carport or garage conversions, deck additions, Swimming pools, boat docks, deck enclosures, patios, gazebos, etc.).
  • Alterations (including but not limited to new siding or siding replacement, driveway replacement or additions, landscaping affects drainage, door replacement (if change in framing), deck replacement, window replacement (if change in framing), exterior renovations, flatwork, retaining walls, re-roofing, septic systems or repairs, framing modifications, arbor over existing patio, mold remediation, etc.).
  • Electrical work (installation of new electrical service, solar panel installation, service upgrades, or relocations, installation of electric wiring and equipment).
  • Plumbing systems - Hot Water Heater, Grinder Pump Replacement, etc. (may also require permit through local water/waste water provider).
  • HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) systems.

When are Permits usually not required?

Building Permits are usually not required to the following:

  • Painting, papering, flooring, tiling, cabinetry, countertops and similar work in an existing residence or commercial structure.
  • Replacement of exterior trim board.
  • Door replacement (as long as there are no framing changes)
  • Minor landscaping projects (does not include flatwork, stairs, retaining walls, french drains, or change the drainage of the property)
  • Replacement of mailboxes 
  • Replacement of compressors, air handlers or other mechanical devices (for example: various heating and A/C parts like blower motors, capacitors and fuses) which are a part of normal ousehold heating and air conditioning systems.
  • Installation of antennas for satellite television (as long as the antenna does not exceed one meter (39.37”) in diameter or those related to internet connections.

When can I turn in my application for a permit?

Building Permit application and project packets may be turned in Mon-Fri at the Village Office during regular business hours.  Assistant Building Official is onsite Mon, Wed and Fri,  appointments are suggested.

Animal Services

Does my dog need to be registered with the Village?

Yes, all dogs in Point Venture must be registered at the Village of Point Venture office annually.  Click Here for Registration Documents: PV_dog_registration.pdf (vopv.org)

Is there a leash law in Point Venture?

Yes, all dogs must be on a leash within the Village of Point Venture.  

Do I have to clean up after my dog?

Yes, you must clean up after your dog, and throw it in a waste container. 

Why is it important to clean up after my dog?

  • Dog waste can take up to 12 months to fully break down. Plus, when rainwater washes over dog poop, it flows into the drainage systems. Then the contaminated water is carried into lakes, streams, and rivers. What this means is the next time you go swimming in your favorite spot, you could be swimming in fecal water. Studies have shown that up to 30% of bacteria found in rivers and lakes comes from pet waste. There are nutrients and pathogens that can pollute the water if the poop is not disposed of correctly. When your furry best friend does his business and the waste ends up in the water, it decomposes and releases harmful nutrients that will cause excessive growth of algae and weeds in the water. The water will become smelly and unusable for locals to swim, fish, or boat in. When water is polluted with this kind of waste it can cause severe illness for humans. You should avoid letting your dog poop within 200 feet of a body of water, always pick it up, and remember to never throw dog waste into a storm drain.
  • The parasites and bacteria in dog waste can spread disease to other dogs and even you if not properly picked up. E. coli and salmonella are some of the bacteria which are carried in dog waste. Even if your dog does not show symptoms of being sick their waste can carry diseases that are harmful to humans and other pets. Plus, Coronavirus, Giardiasis, Parvovirus, Cryptosporidiosis, Salmonellosis, and Campylobacteriosis, along with several types of worms like ringworm and tapeworm. The parasites and bacteria can stay in the soil for years. By not picking up after your dog, you're putting other people's pets at risk for exposure to harmful bacteria. Children who play outside and gardeners are at the most risk for contamination.

  • If you think, as many people do, that dog waste is a natural fertilizer, think again. Since most dogs' diets are high in protein, it has the reverse effect of fertilizer. Dog poop is exceptionally high in nitrogen and phosphorus, so if you let your dog’s waste lay in your grass, it can actually cause burns in your lawn. Since it’s so acidic, it will kill your grass if it isn’t picked up. Dog waste isn’t the same as deer and cow poop since deer and cows eat plant matter. While cow poop can be used as compost in gardens and fields. In fact, dog poop can contaminate fruits, vegetables, and surrounding areas with harmful bacteria if not composted properly.

    You might think that your dog’s poop cannot do much harm. However, it can throw off the balance of an ecosystem especially in heavily populated areas. An ecosystem can handle about two dogs per square mile. However, in many cities, there are close to 125 dogs per square mile! Which is plenty to throw off an ecosystem especially if some owners are not picking up pet waste on a regular basis.

Travis County WCID

Who do I call if I have a water department issue?

For water related issues, service or billing please call the Point Venture WCID - Water District at (512) 267-1641.

For After Hours Emergencies (After 4pm) please call (512) 402-1990.

Where do I go to get water department documents?


Sanitation & Recycling

Who do I call to set up new trash service, billing questions, and service issues?

Waste Connections - (512) 282-3508

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click here to sign up or click the "Subscribe" Quick Link on the banner in the middle of the Home page. Fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information then click submit.

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the Village of Point Venture. Please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.